6/11/2008

Future gravedigger????

My Andy is certainly a special little boy! He is so inquisitive and has to take everything apart to see how it works. Recently he has dismantled a telephone, one of Sera's electronic toys and his remote switch for his bedroom lights. He wants to know about everything and how it works! He is loving summer school and has been very excited to be learning about dinosaurs. He talks about dinosaurs and dinosaur bones on every chance he can get lately!

This morning as we were driving to school, he was singing "Dem Bones", with very unusual connections, such as the ear bone is connected to the mouth bone and the tummy bone is connected to the butt bone.... I was smiling to myself as I listened to him signing and was totally shocked to hear what he asked me next! He very calmly asked, " Mommy, you know you said that you were going to take me to see my grandma some day." I replied that he had just seen Evelyn and and asked if he wanted to go see her today. He said, " No, Mommie, my grandma in the ground!" ( My mother is buried quite a distance north in a very small town cemetery and to save gas this year, we did not go up and just thought about her and talked about her) I was surprised, and asked him why he was asking me this. He said, very matter of factly, " I want to take a shovel with me and dig her up and open her box and see what is inside".

It was all I could do to keep a straight face and tell him we do not want to dig his grandma up or anyone else's grandma, grandpa, dad, mom , brother or sister up out of the ground. Their bodies are empty shells and they need to rest and we should respect that. We can think of their spirits and remember how much we love them and that is really all that is left of people here on earth after they die.

When he said, " But Mommie! They are dead, they won't care!" I truly was left speechless!

I finally managed to tell him that it was illegal for him to ever dig anyone up from a cemetery and that the police would not be very happy with us if he tried.

I wish I could say that I am not worried about what the police may actually show up on my doorstep someday to tell me that he has "explored"!

2 responses:

2China4Ayla said...

OMGOOOOOODNESS! This boy is a hoot. I would probably rid of all shovels and digging tools. :o) I do love his logic - they surely would not care since they are already dead.

Pling&Plong said...

He he he, sorry I can't help laughing... though I can totally understand you feeling worried. I'm sure with just a little bit of guidance he will be of big benefit to mankind, exploring and inventing in the future :-)! /Anna