1/19/2009

Now, we have heard it all!

Or maybe that just jinxed me to hearing more...

With Sera's lip and eye still unrepaired, we have grown accustomed to the quick repeated sideways glances, the abrupt double takes paired with blatant staring, the curious child like comments from both adults and children and even the really rude comments questioning why I would want a child with this problem.

This weekend, however, we ran into a totally different take on someone's first glance at Sera's lip. We had gone out to a school fundraiser at our local highschol. Sera and I had left the cafeteria building and were coming back in when a man rushed out of the doors and the big door hit Sera on the shoulder and head. She fell back into me and started to whimper from fright. I knew this was not a cry from being hurt, since Sera rarely cries from pain, but I was quickly checking her to see if she had been hurt. She was fine. The man was so shocked and apologetic for having rushed out of the building and hit her. As I tried to reassure him that she would be OK, he backed up and pointed at her lip and exclaimed, " Oh, no! Look what I did to her face!!". It was so hard to not laugh out loud.... He finally looked a bit closer and started apologizing even more profusely. I just told him that we were fine and not to worry any more and brought Sera in the building. Sera told me when we came in that he did not hit her lip at all, as if she also needed to reassure me that she was OK.

I wish this whole thing did not make me want to giggle, but it surely does!

We went to eat at Taco Bell's really quickly today and there was a large group of people who spent more time staring at Sera, than they did eating. It was very uncomfortable for me. Sera ingored it completely, but it even upset a lady at a nearby table enough to come apologize for them! She thought Sera was just perfect. Most people do, who know her.

She has provided an education to many folks who had never seen a cleft and left them with a great impression of a wonderfully bubbly and intelligent little girl. She knows so many people now and has quite a fan club of kids at school. They all seem to know her and she just waves like a little celebrity when we see folks we know when we are out. I have to often ask her where she knows them from. If people meet her or even just see her and leave with an impression of disgust, they just were not bright enough to understand the content of the lesson!

Since the lady I talked to at Shriner's on Friday who was trying to track down Sera's MRI still assured me that they would be calling me on Tuesday, please pray that she calls with a surgery date!! I don't think I can keep this up! I think she has done enough educating.... She needs to just enjoy being the beautiful little girl that she is, with people looking at her only because she is so darn cute!

0 responses: