2/05/2008

Rickets

Does anyone know much about this?

I truly never did, nor did I ever give it much thought, even when adopting from a country where the children eat poorly and are kept heavily bundled indoors durring long cold winters. It is why my sweetie had such low muscle tone that she could not walk at 2.5 yrs of age.
It is also why her ribcage is so flared, skull shape is quite unusual and why her little legs are bowed when she walks.

You would think... that a Dr. updating a medical report to help a child get adopted, would use that as a diagnosis, rather than cerebral hemiplegia and mental retardation. I guess it is all part of saving face. It is easier to blame it on the child, not the care they received....

Thank goodness for Shriner's and people who do think about reasons why a child would have such low muscle tone and bone deformities! My baby will be able to dance her little heart out!

2 responses:

Barb P. said...

Marian,
I love all the photos!! What an amazing little girl. So glad they figured out it is Rickets. Will just good diet improve that...She is too adorable in the video Hugs to all from MN.

Sabrina said...

Marian, Lavender was in the same condition when I adopted her. So, very floppy with low muscle tone. She was treated when we got home but she is just now able to run like an 3 year old. She can't go very far, but she's lost the toddler waddle. I'm so glad that Sera is getting the help she needs.

Sabrina