2/26/2008

When did it happen???

As I sat here this evening tying to get a little reading done and put Sera back on the floor for the 5th or 6th time in less than 45 minutes after she crawled up into my lap wanting to give me a hug and kiss and sit to watch what I was doing...it hit me! Where has the little prize fighter I carried home from China gone? When did she turn into this sweet little cuddly, love bug who is constantly coming up wanting hugs and kisses and to be near me at all times possible? Has the business of daily life made me totally blind?

She is always so happy to wake up and melt into me as I pick her up. She pulls me into her face to gaze into her eyes now, without me trying to entice her to make eye contact. She initiates sweet little kissing games. Her precious little giggle is a constant companion here at home on a daily basis. Everything is a source of delight for her, well, except when she wants one of her brother's toys and he says "no". :-)

The little girl who pulled away and held her little body so stiffly, while arching her back to put her head as far away from me as possible and who absolutely refused to make any eye contact at all even when she started to let me hold her- has left! I knew that she was becoming more snuggly, and have really enjoyed each snuggle, but there were still moments I could see that she was still trying to distance herself, especially when she was tired. Now rather than pulling off by herself and rocking her self to sleep, she consistently snuggles into me and happily drifts off to sleep with her thumb in her mouth.... I just didn't really see the frightened and angry little girl leaving..... I know she may come back from time to time later down the road as life changes, and will need my love even more than the sweetie who is here with me now.. I am filling up my heart with many warm fuzzies to share with her if the angry little one does come back for a visit.

How does a person receive such a wonderful gift as the trusting love of a very special little girl and not know the "moment" it happens? For some reason I thought I would recognize a very special and poignant moment or something, that would tell me that I reached my goal....Instead I discover it in hindsight. Oh well.... it has happened and I am one very lucky mommie!!!

1 responses:

Poetryman said...

blessings...