11/27/2008

Amazing change....

Last night as we hustled in and out of the grocery store to purchase a few last minute things, I realized something.

At this time last year, my little Sera never asked for anything, not a drink, not to eat or even to go to the bathroom. It was not just a communication issue either, since she did not ask our guide for any of these things either. She just sat and played with her empty bottle while she waited for life to pass by and was absolutely thrilled when anything was offered to her.

Last night, she was tired and hungry and was very clear about that as we waited in line. She wanted to eat and she wanted to do it SOON! When I would tell her that we were going to eat as soon as we got home, she would frown and put her little hands on her hips and tell me very loudly, "Dut Nonnie, dere is fwood here wite now!". Everyone around us could not help but smile.

While it would have been so much easier to have her simply wait quietly, I am so thankful for her to have been able to make this so important change in her way of interacting with the world! She now sees herself as IMPORTANT and deserving of having me meet her basic needs.

She truly has no idea how how much I love her, but she is learning!

1 responses:

Barb P. said...

What a blessing she is to you and your family is to her! The changes in her have been amazing and give me hope!
And I know he is better with us than without! We are lucky to have him in our lives! He teaches me something new everyday!
Hugs