3/02/2008

"Out of Reach" ????




Yesterday was such a nice day. The weather was super and the kids had so much fun together without squabbling. It truly was a wonderful day.

Today is windy and the kids are not happy about getting chores done. We also woke to a very odd situation...

Andy got up in the dark hours of the morning and wanted to play. He knew that I had told him to stay in bed and sleep in a bit, since he had got up at 5 am on Saturday and woke us all up wanting to play. This morning however, he was quiet. He tried to let me sleep and evidently thought that if he could figure out how to spring Yang Yang from the playpen she is sleeping in in my room right now, he could play with her quietly and not wake me. The problem was that he could not pick her up out of the playpen and that she was also still sleeping...

He solved this by going to the bathroom, putting the step stool on the counter,climbing onto the counter from the toilet and standing on the step stool to reach the scissors which were on the top of the medicine cabinet, in the imaginary place called "out of reach". Somehow he climbed back down safely and proceeded to cut the netting in the playpen OUT! He then crawled into the playpen with Sera YangYang and woke her.

When I woke, they were both sitting on the floor looking at a book and Sera was screaming at him to let her hold it.

I was furious... to say the least. He told me that he could not sleep and just wanted to play with Sera so that I could sleep. He knew he shouldn't do it, but he did it anyhow because he wanted to play.... He could have hurt her, or hurt himself. I don't understand it, because he knew he was supposed to stay in bed and rest. I also know he was wide awake then and that sitting still period when he is awake and not on his meds is absolutely impossible for him. Staying in bed must be worse? AKKK! What can I do with this boy?

I have calmed down and can now see that while he totally ignored what I asked him to do and acted on impulse without thinking of consequences, if this little soul can be steered in the right directions- he will someday be able to really think out of the box to solve ANYTHING!! I just hope that it is not to figure out how to rob a bank.....

Here is a photo that reminds me how much fun he is and how much I do love this little monkey.It also clearly depicts how he can climb so high to get to the land of "out of reach" so easily!

2 responses:

Pling&Plong said...

Hi!
Love reading your updates! What a cute little haircut Sera is growing! Wonderful to hear how you are working through attaching. I was listening to a man who teaches psychology at the university here, and he said that latest research tells us that NORMAL attachment for bio kids is still in process when the child is 3-4 years old, so no wonder adoptive parents have lots of work to do. Sounds like you are doing great, congratulations to that!
/Anna in Sweden

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that kid. What an inventive little mind! I can't believe how much he's changed in the last few months, Marian. He's lost that toddler look for sure!
Deb