3/13/2008

Wow....

I found this video as I tried to put some photos and video together of our trip to bring Sera home. Evidently Aubri had taken it while I was showering or out of the room for some reason, and I knew nothing about it. Watching it made me cry, as I remembered how upset Sera was and how much she wanted us crazy people to GO AWAY!

Now she is snuggled up in bed beside her big sister, contentedly waking up slowly and being a total cuddle bug with a big grin for me as I check on her. Time does change so very much!

I think about the disruptions of children in China that have happened recently and look back at how many things were so stressful for us while we were there. I am so glad that I had prepared Aubri well enough for her to understand that Sera was just scared and would eventually come around. I am also glad that I prepared my heart for rejection, because she definitely did that. I have another video of her hitting me over and over with a bottle while screaming and spitting at me to remind me...

I have no idea if my having shared any of our struggles while in China will help other families traveling to cope with the unforeseen stresses that may be in their future. I do hope, however, that it helps at least one family to look less critically at the angry child in their care, who seems to be so delayed, angry and hostile that they cannot imagine them "fitting" into their family. I have heard that reason given so often for the disruptions I read about.... Time really can change so very much. It takes a lot of work, a lot of patience and truly a lot of tears shed by everyone at points, but all children need love and will eventually accept it, and return it. Added to her rejection of us, we were even told by the SWI staff that we would not want her, that she was too difficult, her needs were too great, etc.. We ( Aubri, Sera and I) had so many moments to encourage us all to give up. I am so thankful that some how we just kept taking one step at a time, moment to moment and had so much support to help us hang in there!

I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am to my Father in Heaven for giving me the courage to see past all the negative information, to endure the stresses of the trip and to be able to cling to the hope that His plan leading me to this wonderful child was going to bring better things for all of us. It most definitely has!




Look at them now!!

2 responses:

Pling&Plong said...

Oh my... Aubrey is THE BEST!!! Which mean you must be too. Wow. What wonderful kids you have!!! What a family. What a great great job you are doing. There sure must be a deeper meaning to bringing you four together!

/Anna in Sweden

Barb P. said...

IT makes me cry every time I see how well she is doing! You are all so Blessed to have each other! Thankfully you could see the Sera in that little scared girl in China! Bless you all!