8/15/2009

Never, never, never.....

NEVER leave a little boy alone with ANYTHING that comes apart and can be broken, jumped on or used as a weapon!!!

NEVER work so hard without getting enough sleep all week that your body literally stops when the adrenaline wears out and you have no energy left to keep a little boy busy!

NEVER expect a little boy to just play quietly with his toys without an adult structuring his day to keep him from getting bored!

NEVER leave your son with his grandfather who forgot to NEVER leave a little boy in a room with his hearing aids and a stapler full of staples, when the little boy has closed the door and can be heard banging around in the room!!

He was trusting him, which I rarely ever do anymore....

I have to be able to see him at all times. It is a panic I cannot escape from. I am always worried he is doing something destructive before thinking about the consequences...... He has taken so many things apart and broken them. I even have dreams about him having taken our house apart. So does Aubri.....

You would think I would have learned by now how to prevent this..... but NOPE!! Not me. This kid seems to always be able to find an opportunity for destruction, especially when I am worn out and cannot keep up with him!

Sigh.......... yes, I bet you can guess what happened tonight!!! I was so tired that I literally felt sick. The kids went to grandpa's for dinner to let me have a few minutes of quiet, since Andy had broke Sera's bed this am while refusing to stay off it and stop trying to wrestle with his sisters....

Andy decided to empty a stapler by shooting the staples all over his grandpa's study and to climb up on the desk and take grandpa's hearing aids out, take the batteries out and break the battery cover off of one....... Just because he wanted to put them in his ears and find out what they do. He told me that he ran out of things to "wiggle" and did not want to make a mess, so he thought he should just see what the hearing aids did. He also said that he did not think about what he was doing, but quickly admitted that he did know what he was doing, because he did not want Grandpa to catch him. He thought he could pick up all the staples.... but the hearing aids distracted him. Sad thing is, I do believe him! They were calling to him from the top shelf of Grandpa's book case. They must speak more clearly than I do, since he never seems to hear me so well!

I don't get it!!! I just don't!!! I never wonder how anything works, I just like it when it does. It's only when it doesn't work that it even begins to cross my mind to try to figure out how it works, and fix it. My girls never do this. They both love making and building things, just like Andy also does, but they just don't take things apart, especially when they know they are not supposed to even be touching them..... Why Andy cannot respect other people's things is still a mystery to me. Since I am a single parent, I cannot blame it as a trait he learned from his dad :-) I know his grandpa doesn't do things like this and if he did as a kid, my grandma would have never put up with it long. I have dated several guys who had to take computers apart, but since they weren't mine and were not something I needed, I never thought much about it before Andy arrived and has dismanteled everything he sees. He sees things I never see too!! Although I have learned to scope some of these things out when we are out and tell him to not touch them, just seconds before he starts to take them apart.... Most of the time though, I have no clue what he is going to be thinking about taking apart!! Is this desire to take things apart and break them beyond repair the difference between boys and girls? Does it ever get better???? Don't answer if it doesn't PLEASE :-)

I love this little boy so much, but WOW, I have no clue why he does these things!!! Maybe when I am not so tired it will seem comical, but Grandpa really needs his hearing aids to hear!! GeeZ!!!

It is a good thing that he is so darned CUTE!!

3 responses:

ourchinagirls said...

Marian, I feel your pain. ZoraLin is a girl version of your son. Just so I can get some piece of mind about a "few" things, I had to have locks put on the doors of my closet and the bathroom closet so I can REALLY keep her out of things in there. She also "knows" what she is not supposed to do and stay out of, but she just can't seem to stop herself from exploring how things work. If I need/want to take a nap when Daddy is gone, I have to make her take a nap with me. Sometimes this works and we each enjoy a pleasant sleep. Sometimes she waits until I am asleep and off she goes getting into things that seem to call her name. She is getting very good about dragging one or more of her sisters along to share in the fun?!

Ah the joys! Hmmmmm, maybe I can see a relationship match here when they get older? Of course, they both need good jobs to pay for the items they need to learn about!!
~~Hugs~~
Christie

Unknown said...

Hi, Marian. I'm so sorry about the hearing aids. I do have one suggestion, though. I'll email you tomorrow (today's a little crazy).

Marjorie said...

oh noooo... don't hate me... I'm dying laughing. ;) Matthew was the same way. He did indeed grow out of it. Well, at least now he puts the things back together that he takes apart. We started collecting broken or cheap appliances, home electronics and computers (garage sales or friends)and bought him a small tool set. Then he could take all of those things apart to his little heart's content. He is 14 now and still keeps a stash of tools and electronics in his room that he tinkers with. He wasn't even 2 years old when he got one of James' screwdrivers and took the battery door off of his Fisher Price flash light. That was the start.... ;)