8/02/2009

Planning meals on an increasingly smaller budget....

We are tying some of the recipes on the Once A Month Mom site. I am not able to cook everything we will eat for a month in one day, the way they have very clear recipes and shopping lists created for those folks who can spend a full day cooking and have that much freezer space, BUT we are doing some of them!!

Today we made bacon, cheddar potato pancakes for lunch boxes and on the run breakfasts. We are going to make cheesy chicken fingers, mac and cheese in cup and pizza muffins later this afternoon. Can you tell that my kids like cheese?

I am discovering that Aubri is a wonderful cooking partner. We may make a few more things tomorrow, to prepare for the exhaustion that is no doubt going to hit me hard as I get ready to go back to work on Wednesday, just due to being overwhelmed :-) Sera will be in Chicago on Sunday and coming back on the 11th... Then kids start. I have to plan a head!

Can you feel my panic!!?

With my salary not going up at all this year, adding in new payments for a car I didn't want, looming medical bills for Andy's upcoming surgery, all of our very needed dental care, as well as all other bills increasing, including school breakfast and lunch prices going up, my routine of just letting the kids eat at school is going to have to stop. It would run me a bout 150 a month to have them eat at school. If I pack pre packaged food, it will run me even more.... So I am going to have to get creative and see if this is an area I can cut costs on..

I bought the kids Disney Bento boxes on clearance and I am going to learn how to pack Bentos with kid friendly foods, also easy on the budget! I found a neat site Maisy Eats Bento and am hoping I can mange even half as creative lunches for my kids, so that they do not get mad that they have to take a sack lunch and actually eat what I pack. It is a good thing they love rice!! I got a few rice molds and Aubri is going to be in charge of making the rice and molding it and freezing it. I think I am also going to have her help plan some of the foods and help cook them while she is home with Grandpa and has finished her school work.

BTW, She is doing home school this year using the K12 Online program. We are excited about it and I think she will be able to learn so much more. Especially if she learns some good life skills in addition to her academics! She can take band at our local public school and is even getting to take Chinese! Having more time with Grandpa is a big plus too!

In any case I am going to commit to share some of the stuff we are trying to make, mostly to keep me honest and not slack off and just buy the prepared foods or school lunches :-) I know there is NO WA?Y that I will be able to take any photos and post them... That is just not me. I will share some of the things that are big hits, though, just in case anyone might find them useful. If you know of any good ideas to pack for school lunches, freezer meals or other good recipes that might freeze, please share them in the comment section. I am going to need help with this! :-)

0 responses: