8/13/2009

Whew!!



Sera's stitches are out, we are home and school has started! This week is really testing my endurance levels!! I am definitely feelin' OLD and out of pep!

First of all, have I mentioned how much I despise having to be patted down and "wanded" any time I think about setting foot on a plane....? If not, just know that security is NOT my favorite part of traveling, especially in the Chicago Midway airport, where there are literally hundreds of people behind you pushing you to move faster and/or just flat out pushing you out of their way. ( I am discovering that China is not unique to doing this! It seems to be very common where folks live together in crowded spaces...... NOT what I am used to at home, but will adapt to in order to get Sera's surgeries done!) My metal knee requires that I be checked out thoroughly each time. At least this trip, Sera had figured out that it really was OK and knew to just get her little backpack, watch security get our other things and not to get near me until they gave me the all clear :)

Hanging out at Shriner's is not miserable. Sera had plenty of toys and videos. It just felt like I was wasting time. Time that was pretty scarce to get things ready for school, get thing done at home etc... I know that it is worth it though! Sleeping at Shriner's is another thing entirely, however. Sera's bed would inflate and deflate every time she moved. This meant that it buzzed and hummed each time she turned over, which would then wake her and she would start to rock... and well, then it drove the bed absolutely NUTS! The parent chair to sleep in is a trundle chair, where your butt is at least 4 inches below your torso.... No joke! I am a bit spoiled and like to sleep on even surfaces, so I fight that trundle all night. I finally decided it is easier to sleep sitting straight up, since the chair does not recline. The back stays in place and does not move at all. Definitely not a huge problem, but not a good way to start the first week of school for me, since when I am sleep deprived, I have mush brain....

Sera's stitches came out quickly and she was a trooper going in to surgery. She keeps winning hearts, where ever she goes. Dr. Patel was not able to open all of her tear ducts and we will go back in a month to find out what the plan is for them. He is going to try to create new ducts. He is amazing!!

Sera woke in a horrible state, however and tried to hurt herself and everyone trying to calm her for almost a full hour, before the anesthesia left her system. I do not want this anesthesia again! the last time was much better! She even fought so hard that she scared the nurses and even the hospital director walked though to see what the commotion was. It is obvious that she was terrified and totally angry with all of us who tried to help. She would recognize me on and off and start to settle down, but then they would try to get her vitals and she would come uncorked again. Then once she settled down, she insisted on walking back to her room to put on her dress and jewelery :-) She was fine. She didn't want Sprite or any of the juices they offered her, she wanted to go to the cafeteria herself and get PINK lemonade :-) That's my girl !!

She has to wear tape on her lip when she is at home, to keep the scarring down and we have to massage her lip often. The tape is not a favorite thing for her, as you can probably guess, but she is doing it without too much fuss. The lip looks great! Now, she just needs to learn how to move it and use it :-)

After she played and shocked her nurse at how quickly she rallied, we left for the airport to try to catch a stand by flight and get home earlier. Well..... best laid plans.... We got home on our originally scheduled flight, which was over 2 hours late!! We got good doses of people watching, and even had some lady get bit nuts and the airport staff had to have security take her away when she started cursing Sera. Yep. Somehow Sera's skirt, a longer tiered, twirly skirt, offended her. No clue why! She screamed and ranted while trying to pull at Sera's skirt and shaking her finger at us. I blocked her, and that just made her madder. Sera got a bit scared, but handled it well. She ignored the lady, instinctively did not make eye contact with her, and just clung to me. But believe me, she wasn't the only unusual sight we saw! I think we lead very sheltered lives, and must also have very boring lives compared to many folks we saw. I am truly happy to come home to our own life!! Home sweet home!

I finally fell in bed at 1 am ofter driving home and getting the kids all loved on and settled to bed, getting household stuff etc... done. Up again at 5 am ....I had to have my classroom ready for the meet the teacher event from 6 to 7 pm. It was great to be back to work, but I craved a nap so badly.... Maybe this weekend!

School is started and Sera and Andy had great first day! They were so excited! I was short staffed, but our crew worked together and were able to enjoy the day with our students also. No major melt downs!! Aubri starts band and art at the middle school tomorrow.... no wait, today!

I need to get busy since it is 5 am now! Hopefully tonight I will have some energy left and post the photos. If not it will have to wait until the wee hours of the am :-)

1 responses:

Sinthea said...

OH, wow, Sera in her bathtub picture looks just like my Kimmi!!! and in another photo, she looks like another of Sera's Datong sister, Katie--- it's the dimples in that picture! Soooo happy for Sera!

Sinthea
mom to Kimberli Jane, Datong SWI, since 8/6/07