8/19/2009

Storms

Storms seem to bring out the unusual.... In my classroom, seizures and meltdowns are much more common to see increase, but so does the "crazy". Folks trying to work together in a small space with needy little people, start to get on each other's nerves a bit more easily. My kids at home are a bit more clingy, or they are more energetic and loud. Kind of the same effect as on a full moon.

Today must have been a full moon and a storm!! I actually had a sub para decide that another para had been "touched" and was a vampire..... A student was seeing ghosts and panicking the tables were floating. Several kids were sleep deprived from the thunder last night and melted down with frustration and exhaustion for the tiniest of things, like a milk cap falling.

I also heard about a disruption of a child I had followed on his journey to his new family. He is just a preschooler and had been reported to already have serious problems. He had only been home about 6 months. Not long enough for any real changes to happen in attachment or bonding for both the parents or the child.

I remember only too well how stressed we all were 6 months after Andy came home. He was still grieving the loss of his foster family and was VERY sneaky in finding ways to destroy things in order to make me not love him. He was so afraid of being loved and rejected again.... We have had many struggles and while I admit to having entertained the thought of giving up, it only lasts fleetingly and I remember why I need to hang in there and never give up! These little ones we have brought home through adoption have faced so many huge losses in their lives. Who could possibly expect them to "fit in" to a family without issues. I know that I can't!

I just cannot wrap my mind around the all "crazy" I have encountered since this most recent bout of thunder storms ( the past 2 days). I cannot understand how a child can not receive unconditional love just for being them, any more than I can begin to understand how this sub para can think my other para is a vampire...

As much as I love listening to the thunder and rain, I want the storms to go away!!

2 responses:

ourchinagirls said...

Oh my! Sounds like drama abounds at school! Vampires! Eeks! Can you share the disruption blog? Oh how I hate to hear that! It says on my calendar that tonight is a New Moon....probably explains it all!

We need a get together soon!

Sandee said...

Hi. I saw your comment on Linny's blog about singles adopting and just wanted to say hi. Our stories are almost mirrors. I have two bio sons, whose father left when they were 4 and 2, because a family life was not what he wanted....I have since adopted one daughter from China and am adopting a second daughter from Ethiopia.

Blessings to you and your family.!