11/19/2007

Home SWEET HOME!!

Wow, those words have never been more strongly and deeply felt in my heart!! It was so wonderful to get home and have familiar sounds and sights! It was so wonderful to no longer breathe that China air that had burned our nostrils and throats for the last two weeks! I honestly understand why people there often wear masks and have so many upper respiratory difficulties!! It would be torture not having clean air to breathe and needing to breathe that daily! Initially I did not feel to bothered by it, but as time went on it worsened and I craved fresh air. Inhaling a deep breath of the KC fresh air, where it had recently been raining was truly pure HEAVEN!! Even for badly infected sinuses!

Our flights are over!!! The longer one from Beijing to Newark was long, but Sera did sleep most of the way and was pretty OK with it all. The plane was big enough that we could stand up and walk around and the flight attendants kept her in good supply of snacks and juices. Security in Beijing was even OK. They actually assisted us getting on the plane! Every other China flight, we have been on our own and pushing through the crowds to get to our space without any help whatsoever.

When we got to Newark, Sera's paperwork went smoothly! We didn't even have to go to that big waiting room like we did last time and it was simply done while in the passport line. She is now a US citizen! No fanfare or hoopla, but still a US citizen. Until this trip, that has never meant quite as much to me. It was just something I took for granted. NEVER again! We have so many blessings here that we never even think about and often even grumble about! Yep... I can truly say that I was a "stupid American" and did not fully respect all that I have.... Maybe that is why all of this happened..... I will never know fully, but it certainly has opened my eyes and mind and made my heart EXTREMELY grateful!

Oh, I should mention that traveling with a temporary passport is "fun". NOT!! You are truly scrutinized at every checkpoint! I was exhausted when the new photo was taken and just as exhausted or more so going through security so it was pretty obvious that I was the tired and rally was the same loopy lady in the photo....but they really had to make sure and triple check!

Also, if you have ever had a passport issue, you will be physically searched at every checkpoint possible. Not fun when you have 3 backpacks, a screaming toddler, a stroller and a tried 9 yr old who does not understand that it is just precautionary and is afraid we would have to go sit in another police station!!! US security is thorough... very thorough.... I know it is a good thing, but I do not want to fly again!!

Sera was really put out with flying in a tiny airplane from Newark to KC. The plane was delayed and she was just fine settling in at the airport and was very indignant when I uprooted her AGAIN to get on another plane. She could not get comfortable in the seat and was kicking and screaming most of the way, while intermittently hitting at me, the stewardess and Aubri. She wanted the magazine and then would throw it and then want it again... Over and over... She was so tired and just wanted to go to bed somewhere, but not in that SEAT! There were two ladies on the plane who give seminars on adoption, the titles of their presentations are something like , Matters of the Heart and Because they Waited. I was handed a complimentary set of their DVD's and training manuals when we disembarked. They wrote on a business card that they knew just how challenging adopting an older child can be and wanted to support me. I was so sure at that point that everyone on the plane hated us.... Sera was so LOUD! I will look at them later, but haven't had time or energy today. Once again.. we were in the right place and connected with people who can help. that has happened so many times this trip that it just cannot be pure coincidence.

I truly believe that this little girl has and will continue to have a positive effect on many people throughout her life... Sera has many, many true living "angels" who have helped her come home in many different ways..... It is absolutely overwhelming to think of how many people are interested in her and have helped her. I am immeasurably grateful to all of you!!!!!

Deb and Rae were there waiting to pick us up. I was so happy to see them!! it was 1am! We discovered that one of my suitcases had broken, but the belts kept everything in, so all was well. I reported it and then was so HAPPY to leave!!!!

We started on home and I was starting to relax and finally believe we were headed home when an 8 pt buck jumped from the median and crashed into the truck on the left side. It caved in the door where Sera was sitting!! I could see it from the window as it hit. It was HUGE! Miraculously, it did not injure anyone and the truck was drivable! Sera was FINE!! She had big wide eyes and I am sure she wondered about US traffic at that point, but she didn't even whimper! Not good luck to have been hit,,,, but it came out much better than it could have.

We finally got home and fell into bed at 4 am. We slept until 1pm and then got up and went to school to see my Andy!! I was so happy to see him!! He has been such a good boy while I have been gone! I am so proud of him! We also went to the classroom and saw all the kids. It was really nice! I did get a phone call while there that I thought surely was a joke, from my consulting teacher about a potential new student. I found out it wasn't, but amazingly, after all of this, a new student and problem solving to find space, allocate time etc.. is nothing in comparison!! There is never a dull moment around here, but I am so glad that the moments are familiar and I know what to do to cope!!! NO Chinese police!!! Sera latched right on to Arina and was very happy to have someone to speak Chinese to her! Having Arina there, she was fine with all the faces popping in the room to take a peek at her. She also really latched on to Andy and seeing him with us really has appeared to help her. She even gave me a KISS tonight at Walmart after seeing Andy give me one!!

I wanted to get my driver's license renewed today but they aren't open on Mondays.... So the kids have dental appts tomorrow afternoon and I must get that license renewed!! ASAP! I do not want a ticket! I am going to work and Grandpa is taking the little people to the dentist. I am just a block away to help, if there is a problem ;-)

We came home, ate burritos for dinner and the kids took a bath and went to bed!! Everyone is sleeping peacefully right now and I am off to bed again myself. I will upload a few photos in the am if I can. I am too tired to walk out to try to find the cords right now :-)

3 responses:

RamblingMother said...

I attended a Matters of the Heart Seminar. It was very very good. So good for you to have them on your flight.

Beverly

Pling&Plong said...

Welcome home! SO happy to hear you are all well. Impatiently awaiting those photos :-). Anna in Sweden

Anonymous said...

Welcome to home, sweet home! Hit by a dear on the way home from the airport?!!!! Folks, you just can't make these things up! LOL What a trip you have had! I look forward to meeting your newest family member. Best wishes on everyone getting over jet lag and settling in quickly.
Becky Ross
LID 01/11/06