11/14/2007

Taiyuan to Guangzhou
































Well, I am behind on posting. Sorry! I know that I really want to try to write it all when it happens so that I can remember... but maybe lately I haven't been wanting to remember ?

In any case we woke early on the 13th and started making some calls to find out about wheter or not the mapers we had were going to wrk to get us to GZ. When I called the consulate, of course they said that the papers needed photo ID! Duh..... I hate it when my kids say that but it this case there is no better response....

So, I had to call poor Christina once more, she did not get to sleep in at all..... We had to go back to the public Securities bureau in Taiyuan to get photos affixed to our temporary visa. This visa would only allow us to travel within China though.....

We hurrind back and checked out of the hotel to go to the airport. The fog from Shenyang and Changchun seemed to have followed us. Thankfully, our plane was just slightly delayed and we flew to GZ without too much difficulty. Sera happily munchied on her favorite suasage while we ascended and seemed to have no problems with flying. She slept most of the way. She did attract a lot of attention when she would intermittently rock herself in the seat.... I so hope this will diminish in time. She rocks herself so hard!

Getting off the plane in China stinks!! They just push and push and shove... It doesn't matter how little you are! We ended up waiting to be the last off the plane because Sera was walking. One man literally tripped over her!! Another family took their crying child to the bathroom and the older women just pushed and shoved in front of them. No regard to personal space or apparent respect for others..... It is very difficult for those of us from the American culture, where we are taught in kindergarten, to stay in line and respect personal space, to cope with this. I know that it is just a cultural difference and is not intended the way I have perceived it lately, but exhaustion has not put me in the best and most open frame of mind....

Our guide met us and explained the next day's activity. Mine of course was much different, due to needing to go to the consulate and get a new visa to be able to leave China. She ordered Papa John's pizza for us which was delivered as we dropped the Straka family off at the White Swan. It was heavenly! Sera loves pizza. She loved it immediately! I was kind of hoping there would be something she would need to adjust to in the food category, like Andy did when he refused to eat any cheese, but she was thrilled with it! I now have 3 pizza loving kids!! We will be making lots of homemade pizza at our house!

We rusehd to take visa photos before checking into the hotel to have them ready for the next day's activites....

It was so nice to see familiar faces as we checked into our room. It was supposed to have been a different room, and the room we have is smaller, but at this point I am complaint free for this piece. As long as we have a place to lie down and sleep and it is clean.... who cares how big the room is!! Barb Pentecost and her adorable little Joshua and niece Caitlin stopped in to see us and it was so good to hold a happy baby!! Little Joshua is just so precious! He really renewed my spirit, since my new little one truly despises my every touch. I know it will improve and I love her dearly, but little Joshua was definitely good medicine for me!

Wednesday morning we met out new guide, Judy, in the lobby at 7:40 and hurried to the business center to print some forms, off to do Sera's medical ( which went very smothly and she actually did not get upset at the Dr's at all..... just at me :-) ), and then off to the consulate. The lady I had talked to yesterday had all the forms ready for me and I had new passports in 30 minutes!!! So much more efficient!!! Then we had to go to the Publc Securities Bureau of Guangzhou. NOT so efficient....... We were told that they would not expedite and issue a visa by the time I flew out! they were going to lunch at 12 and would not even discuss it. My poor guide's face was quite blank and worried as we walked out, while Sera screamed and hit at me down 5 floors of escalators.... I got to the hotel and started making calls. The same lady at the consulate spoke to me and said that she would call and see what could be done. She called back several times asking questions about the tickets and told me what to show them. When we went back and the guide told the officer that the consulate had told me that they could do this and had spoken with someone there, the officer got very angry! He siad that was IMPOSSIBLE!! They do not have staff to waste time talking to the US consulate! BUT.... they did agree to do it! They charged me an arm and a leg though! Almost 2 times what it cost for the original one entry visa and I just wanted a zero entry visa to be able to leave the country!!!

So I came back to the hotel and sat in shock for a while, then decided we needed to eat. We went with Barb and her crew to the Cow and Bridge and had noodles and some egg dish, which Sera loved. We then went walking a bit and I bought Sera a pair of squeaky shoes for less than 3 US dollars. She LOVED them!! hopefully it will help motivate her to walk more and improve her strength. She has such a toddler walk!

We came back and the girls took baths and I took a shower and we fell into bed. Sera was happier and even snuggled with Aubri. Maybe my day will come!! Today we will have the day to just explore a bit. I hadn't taken many photos the past few days and wil try to see some things today. The street market will be interesting, hopefully. Don't worry! I will keep my valuables in the SAFE!!!

3 responses:

Amy said...

The rocking will go away in time. My son Thomas did it for a whole year. We adopted him when he was 7 years old. It took 3 years for him to relax in my arms. He does now. It only shows she was not held allot. Sarah wouldn't trust me for almost 3 months. She fell asleep in my arms again tonight. I am now almost her favorite...at least a close 2nd to her papa. You have such a great attitude in what is a very hard situation. God give you wisdom and help. God give you rest, peace and joy. It will get really great! 6 months up the road your sweet girl will be totally transformed by love and her new family. It will be more then worth it!

Ohilda said...

Marian,

Oh my gosh, I have just now been able to catch up on your blog. What a journey!!!

I feel for you and what Sera are going through. We are now almost 5 months home with Anna Grace and STILL have our days, but definitely there is light at the end of the tunnel. It will happen for you. Hang in there, my friend.

GZ will be a calmer experience and you know you are almost home.

Sending hugs and prayers...

Pling&Plong said...

I see you have only three days left in China. I wish you some good days now, with hopefully some rest and maybe some tiny steps getting closer to Sera. She is precious!