7/24/2009

Andy's testing done!


One step forward! Aubri, Andy and I left Sera off with Grandpa at 4 am so that we could get Andy to the children's hospital and have him checked in at 7 am.

I drove our newly acquired little RAV4 in the dark all the way there! That would normally not be a big feat, but since last Thursday, I HATE driving! I keep replaying that crash and seeing Aubri next to me struggling to breathe with her beautiful blue eyes bulging in fear.... Every car that passes me or moves around me as we go through intersections and mostly as we pass parking lots, sets me to extreme hypervigilant mode. I needed no caffeine, since my own adrenaline was working quite well! But by the time we got there, I was worn out!!

Andy was a trooper and loved getting to play all the video games there. He especially was interested in a Lego game. The exam rooms had animal tables. He had a beluga whale and we could see a dinosaur across the hall. It was kind of like going to an amusement park! He was quite happy to get ready to breathe his strawberry gas and take a nap. We went to the waiting room, which was was super decorated as a forest, complete with large trees for lighting and tables looking like mushrooms etc... There were lots of families there waiting for the little ones. Some were extremely distraught, some were checking their notes on what they needed to do and others looked like they had done this before and knew the ropes. I learned that some families get really distraught over little things, since I tried to comfort a lady who kept crying and pacing and discovered that her child was just there to have a tooth pulled under general anesthesia. The thought of him being in there with people she did not know just had absolutely terrified her. While I had been nervous about driving, and really felt for this lady and her fears, I was sooo glad that I trust Andy's doctors and was not dealing with that level of anxiety. If I did, I don't know that we would make it through all the things he and Sera will be needing in the next few months!

Andy's testing after the testing the Dr did in the OR, while he was awake, was much less pleasant for him. He was VERY uncomfortable. He was a good little guy, though and did what they told him to do. It took quite a long time and I was surprised that he was still dizzy and off balance when he could get dressed. I had wanted to take both him and Aubri to a science museum while we were there in the city, but we decided to abort those plans when we discovered that he needed to be carried...
Oh, he also lost his first top tooth today! It was wiggly and to have anesthesia safely, they pulled it out! He is thrilled and excited about adding to his stash of dollar bills. He loves money and saves every penny! I already miss his smile, but his new grin is cute too! I cannot imagine how much his little face is going to change with big teeth in that little mouth, but as with all change I resist, I am sure I will enjoy the new look he will have! I only had my cell phone, so no good photo. He wiggled in every one I tried to take. I will get one today though!

Once we got home, he was still out of it a bit, but was mostly just sleepy. He could walk on his own :-) By the time his gymnastics was starting, he was full of bounce again! I just love watching him!

The doctor hasn't called me to tell me what his plan for Andy is and to discuss it with me. While we talked in the consultation room after the first tests, it does sound like more surgery will be needed along with some additional daily medical care. No arguments from me! What ever he needs, I will try to find a way to help him with it. I may have to explore getting him disability to help with additional medical coverage, but what is more red tape at this point? :-) He is definitely worth it!

3 responses:

Kelly said...

Hello. I came to your blog from nogreaterjoymom blog. I love the picture at the top of your blog! What a riot! Your kids are adorable and your blog is very nice!

Surgery or any medical procedure of any kind is always harder on me than my kids. ;)

Adeye said...

Hi
It is so wonderful to 'meet' you here. I had a look through your blog. Oh my goodness, your children are just absolutely adorable. You are such a blessed mommy :) I can't wait to read more. Thank you for allowing me to journey with you. Such a treat!
Love and hugs
Adeye

2China4Ayla said...

Glad he made it through his testing. I am praying for you for tomorrow with Sera too!