7/27/2009

Whew!!!

I was worred about whether or not I was bringing what I needed for Sera's surgery, since I had not received any real info about what the hospital stay would be like. I had done everything the PA had asked me to do, like get the CT scan done, get a UA done, have the family physician fax health status updates to Shriner's, put Sera on a preventative antibiotic and give her daily breathing treatments.

However, in not getting the kind of info from Shriner's, like I had received from our nearby children's hospital, I worried. I like to plan in advance and prepare for potential problems. I worried about security in the airports after her surgery when she felt awful since I had trouble just last week with Sera in security at the airports, since it scared her for people in uniforms to take me away from her and not let her get near me. I worried if I would be able to carry all the bags and push Sera in a stroller on the way home. I worried that my legs, which are pretty bruised and not working well from the wreck, would be able to keep me upright. I worried, enough to decide bring Aubri with me so that I would have some help in the airports and help with Sera and the bags and, honestly, to have some company. I purchased her a ticket and she came along with us.

When we arrived at Shiner's last night however, they told me that Aubri would not be allowed to stay. I had planned on staying in a regular chair and having Aubri sleep in the recliner. They would NOT allow that. It did not matter that she was 11. It did not matter that she was quiet and responsible. Nothing mattered. A rule is a rule and I should abide by it even if I knew nothing about it and no one had tried to begin to prepare us for this surgery and the hospital requirements.

So after much ado....including me loosing my patience at being told to send her to a hotel all by herself to check in so that Sera could be admitted... We all ended up at a hotel with Sera needing to come back at 9 am. It worked out well, because Sera really loves going to that hotel and staying in the hospital all night without being sick would have bored her to tears! She loved getting a pizza again and eating late at night. For the girls it was a special treat! I was so tired from having been angry that I just greatly welcomed a good nights rest in a comfortable bed :-)

Also, our travel to and from the hospital and where we were staying was totally unknown to the person in charge of setting these things up... Evidently it should have been faxed from our Topeka office.... None of this is anything I could have prevented, even though I kept trying to arrange travel way before March.

Evidently there have been some budget cuts and everyone seems to think that the other person is sharing the necessary information with me regarding the logistics of this surgery. It really isn't the "fault" of anyone's actions or lack of action. It is just a bit of confusion as they also learn to survive these nasty budget cuts our economy has placed on people everywere. So sad!!

The surgeons, however, have been wonderful and kept me very in the loop with what they are needing to do. The are wonderful and I know they will do an amazing job. Much better than I could have done near home.

Every year at work, I am reminded by a sign given to me byone of my university professors to stay flexible and roll with the changes to best be able to handle them. I know that it is an important skill in the field I teach in. I hadn't carried it over to home life much though. Now I am taking that advice to heart daily in my own personal life now!! I must need to learn to be more flexible however, because I keep getting these "lessons" on a regular basis! I am going to learn how to not need to plan for every action and just try to breathe more deeply when I don't know what is happening :-)

Sera is in surgery now. She went in about 2:20. She had to wait all day with nothing to eat or drink. She was such a little trooper!! She would ask me for food often, but would accept not yet for an answer and go back to watching a movie on the computer or even snoozing on the bed while waiting. It was a horribly long day for all of us, since Aubri and I also fasted with her and were also both nervous about her upcoming procedure.

Evidently she will be coming out of surgery soon, within an hour. The nurse report is good. She says that she looks very different now and to be prepared to not recognise her.... :-( I loved the little face that she had. I know we will also love her new little smile, because honestly, her lip shape does not define her smile. It is her pure little joyful spirit that shines through!

I will post photos as soon as I can. This computer does not allow uploads of any kind.

4 responses:

A Crystal Garden said...

Wow Marian! I haven't been checking blogs for awhile and had a few minutes tonight to check in on everyone. You have had some real not so good excitement this summer.

I pray all goes well with Sera surgery.

Kelly

Susan said...

Praying for little Sera to recover quickly.
Susan

Barb P. said...

Praying for you all. Your posts over the summer have been such a blessing to me. Learning to go with the flow and roll with the punches is a hard lesson to learn, but we are doing our best! Hugs to your girls. Looking forward to knowing how Sera is doing and how she responds to her knew lookd! She is so beautiful already! You are all in our prayers!

Deb said...

WOWZA! She looks amazingly perky for a child just out of surgery. I'll miss that smile, too, but I bet we'll learn to love her new one in short order. She's just too cute in that little car!