7/17/2009

Hug your loved ones!

Last night we were T boned forcefully, by a driver who did not even stop at the entry way from a parking lot. He just barreled out of it without stopping to check for traffic and right into us. We were on our way home from gymnastics and were not far from home at all. There was nothing I could do to avoid it. He hit the passenger side doors head on at at least 20 miles and hour when I was traveling 30mph. It crushed into passenger side and and Aubri had the wind knocked out of her by the airbags. She could not breathe and all I could do was try to figure out how I was going to do CPR on my own daughter with my legs stuck under the steering wheel...

Several bystanders came to our aid, and one gentleman came to my door to tell me that 911 had been called. My cell had been thrown into the car and I could not find it while trying to calm my kids. Andy was screaming that he hurt is head and Sera was just screaming. Aubri was able to breathe before she passsed out and was just sobbing quietly. I was trying to keep them calm while the EMS extricated them from the car. They had to cut the car open to get Aubri out. Grandpa came and Sera would not let go of him. She would not let any EMT touch her. He drove her to the hospital. Both Aubri and Andy were transported via ambulance on backboards, and I could not go with both of them because I had injured my leg and they wanted me checked out too. Aubri was a sweet big sister and actually told me to go with Andy. My bloodpressure was 176 over 100 so I guess they were right in deciding to play it safe. The EMS workers were so nice and gentle with my kids! I am so grateful to them!!

I saw the driver of the big white Ford Explorer that had crashed into us walk around the car, when the kind man who had called 911 for us pointed him out to me. The driver never spoke to me at all. He just stood and stared at us. I hate to be judgemental, but he truly looked like a lost soul, with a very glazed look, stringy hair and an unbuttoned shirt. My first impression was that he was stoned or drunk. I may have been wrong, but the EMT's seemd to all be under the same impression. He refused assistance however... Who knows. The police gave me a victim's sheet with insurance info and I can get a police report in 5 working days, by paying 5 bucks for it....

We all are fine and got to come home last night. We are banged up and bruised and I had to watch Andy for head injury, Aubri probably has a broken rib and I am limping more than usual, BUT even if we are all sore, we are all together!!! I am so blessed! If we had been in a smaller car, or the kids had not been restrained correctly, the story would be very different.... I cannot hardly imagine it without crying...

We go see the car today and empty it and send it off to the insurance lot. I honestly did not look at it yesterday. All I could focus on was my kids cries. It makes me so sad to lose it and have to take on a car payment and insurance deductible, when I don't have the funds to do that without making big cuts in a budget with little room to cut, BUT my kids are happily munching on chips while watching Pokemon right now and I am able to hug and kiss on them all I want.

Please hug your loved ones and let them know just how much you love them! A split second can really rob you of them forever! We are all very acutely aware of that here today.

3 responses:

ourchinagirls said...

Oh Marian! I so am glad to hear that you are all okay! I hope the other driver had insurance?!! I read an article a while back that said that Topeka had some of the safest drivers and I wondered what kind of drugs the author of that article was taking!! I'm serious! I can't believe how many accidents there are everyday!!

~~Hugs~~
Christie

Susan said...

Glad no one was seriously injured. We are praying for Sera and her upcoming surgery.
Susan

Unknown said...

Bless your hearts! I am thankful that no one was seriously hurt. I hope that you will get some compensation from the other driver's insurance company. I will hug my kids a little tighter this evening!